Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Offside by Juliana Stone


Offside
Series: The Barker Triplets #1
Author: Juliana Stone
Published: 2012
Format: eBook only
Source: Amazon

I am using this book for my March 2013 challenge. Although I got the book free on Amazon, it may no longer be free when at the time of this review.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
When hockey phenom Billie-Jo Barker returns home and decides to play in the local Friday night hockey league, all hell breaks loose. Not because Billie's talent is in question, but because Billie is a woman. And though these are modern times, some of the local guys still have a problem letting a girl into their 'men's club.'

Soon, Billie is at the center of a small town battle of the sexes, with everyone choosing sides. Her sisters. The townsfolk. Her friends. And yet, the only person whose opinion she cares about doesn't seem to care much at all. Logan Forest, the man who broke her heart when she was eighteen and the man she now shares the bench with every Friday night.

She's got a lot to prove and though Billie Jo Barker scores on the ice, will this girl ever score with the man of her dreams?


My Thoughts:
There are two types of books that will make me drop whatever I'm reading to pick it up: friends/enemies to lovers and romances involving sports. That's my excuse for reading this book the night I got it on Amazon. Not going to lie, I did a tiny squeel when I saw it in Amazon's top 100 free ebooks. It was a very happy squeel and I finished the book two hours later.

Offside is the story of Billie-Jo and Logan. I loved Billie-Jo as a character. She's a former hockey player (woot!) that is forced to return home after a career ending injury. She decides to join a local no contact league and draws the ire from a lot of people in her town. They were horrible to her, almost to the point where it went overboard. Logan and Shane (another "hometown" friend) were her only allies. I liked Logan. He was good for her and stood up for her against the town. We also meet Billie-Jo's family and Shane. With the exception of Betty-Jo (whom we meet for only a couple pages), I really liked her family. Bobby-Jo was rough with Billie, but that was understandable because of what she had to go through with their father being sick and their elderly grandfather. Betty-Jo, on the other hand, was a royal bitch. She's the lead female in the last book and I'm not sure if I'll be able to connect with her.

I loved this book. It was a very quick read. I loved the characters for the most part. They were fun to read about and easy to cheer for. It is a steamy romance, but there are also heartbreaking scenes with her father. There was a scene where he didn't recognize Billie-Jo and I teared up along with her. I look forward to Bobby-Jo's book and we'll see about Betty-Jo's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment