Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review of Just A Taste (The O'Learys #5) by Shannyn Schroeder

"Carmen, I swear I can do better than that. I can't go down in your book as your worst lover ever." - Liam O'Leary

Just a Taste
Series: The O’Learys # 5
Author: Shannyn Schroeder
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: January 19th, 2015
Source: Netgalley

Purchase Links: Amazon - B&N - iTunes - Kobo
Add to Goodreads

Grief has brought them together again—will love open the door to their future? When it’s an O’Leary in the picture, finding out is just part of the adventure…

Carmen Delgado is left reeling when her father dies. Taking care of him has been her sole purpose for so long, she’s forgotten what it’s like to have dreams of her own. And with steady, sexy Liam O’Leary inheriting a share in her dad’s successful food truck, Carmen is suddenly free to explore her life’s possibilities. She never expected Liam to provide the kind of temptation she’s not sure she can resist…

A talented chef, Liam O’Leary has been itching to open his own restaurant for years—and the death of his mentor is a reminder that time passes too quickly. Gus’s Taco Taxi isn’t exactly what he dreamed of, but he can’t desert Gus’s daughter. Working side by side is an unexpected pleasure—and grownup Carmen is alluring in all new ways. Is love on the menu—or will old fears and insecurities drive them apart?


Confession time... I've been in a little bit of a reading slump for the past couple of weeks. Actually, the slump monster has been lurking in the dark since mid-December. It has made reading difficult and not a lot of fun. Why am I saying this with my review of Just A Taste? Well, Mr. Slump Monster tried to stop me from reading it. But since I loved the previous book in Shannyn's O'Leary's series, I was not about to let the slump win. I fought tooth and nail for Just A Taste until I got the to mid-point. From that point on, I could not put the book down! In all honesty, I adored the book from the very beginning. The problem was solely on my side with the slump not wanting me to read...anything. Shannyn's writing is fabulous. It was her words and characters that pulled me in, even when I was slumping.

Just A Taste is very much a slow-building romance between Liam and Carmen. The chemistry and attraction are there from the beginning, however they work on re-building their friendship first. Liam sets out to gain Carmen's trust, both in business and with her heart. After caring for her parents, Carmen isn't really used to someone wanting to take care of her. It is Liam that lures her back to the living and brings her heart alive again. Together, they are able to support each other during difficult times. I adored this book and I am so glad I stuck with it through the rough patches when I just did not want to read. It was Liam and Carmen's sweet natured romance that kept me going. It may start off sweet, but things start to sizzle when Liam and Carmen act on their attraction, especially when Liam is teaching her how to feel comfortable with sex. He's so loving and Carmen is so sweet that their hearts really stood no chance. When he needed her, Carmen was there to help Liam just as much as he helped her. Liam made her feel beautiful and she helped him find his love of being a chef once again. From their first stolen glance at the beginning of the book to the very last page, it was obvious that they were perfect for each other.

I was in a bit of a predicament with this book and the previous O'Leary book... Since I had not read books 1 through 3 in the series, I'm still working out which O'Leary is married to or dating which non-O'Leary. However, you can totally start the series at any point. I just love this family and it is such a fun group of characters that I can't wait to pick up the first books and really get to know them. 



Shannyn Schroeder is the author of the O’Leary series, contemporary romances centered around a large Irish-American family in Chicago and the new Hot & Nerdy series about 3 nerdy friends and their last spring break. When she’s not wrangling her three kids or writing, she watches a ton of TV and loves to bake cookies.

Author Links




1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting. I'm glad I could help pull you from your slump :-)

    ReplyDelete