Friday, May 1, 2015

Review of A Smile as Sweet as Poison (Surface Tension #2) by Helena Maeve

"A girl's gotta have her secrets." - Hazel

A Smile as Sweet as Poison
Series: Surface Tension #2
Author: Helena Maeve
Publisher: Totally Bound
Release Date: April 10, 2015*
Source: publisher for review

Buy Links: Amazon* - B&N* - Totally Bound
*Title is available on April 10th only on the publisher's website via early release. It will be available with other retailers in May.
Add to Goodreads
Series Info

When fiery passion can turn on a dime, how far would you dare to gamble your heart?

When proof of a college indiscretion comes back to haunt her, Hazel’s whole world threatens to crumble under the threat of discovery.

Recently tangled in a three-way relationship with her best friend’s one-time lover and his prickly roommate should’ve turned Hazel’s hair prematurely gray. Sure, it’s not the sweeping fairy tale romance she might have imagined as a little girl, but it might just be the next best thing. Dylan and Ward are not only the right blend of domineering and considerate, they also seem eager to treat Hazel to a comfortable life. Whether it’s in the bedroom or the playroom, they are devoted to her pleasure and enthusiastic to help enact her deepest, darkest fantasies.

But while navigating the uncertain waters of such a complicated arrangement proves easier than expected, other areas of Hazel’s life aren’t so well anchored. As she struggles to keep a shameful secret that could irrevocably change the way Dylan and Ward see her, the tethers of the past call Hazel to home and hearth and the artful lure of an old flame.

Reader Advisory: This book contains scenes of bondage, BDSM and impact play, as well as a scene of rape fantasy.


I must admit, I am not a big fan of serials. If I love the story and I'm invested in it, the last thing I want is to wait however long for the release of the next segment. That feeling, however, never once entered my mind when I finished the first novella in the Surface Tension series. I am hooked on this serial and I don't even mind the break between novellas. Now I'm not going to go into too much detail about A Smile as Sweet as Poison because I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say this... The character development is amazing. I love the transformation the three main characters went through between the first novellas in the serial, especially Ward. He's definitely emerging from his shell and becoming more comfortable in his relationship with Dylan and Hazel. Dylan goes through a minor transformation, while Hazel is forced to face her ex-boyfriend. I loved A Smile as Sweet as Poison. It was just as sizzling as the first novella, especially one scene that damn near melted my Kindle.  There is one element of the relationship that has yet to appear in the serial (again, I won't say what it is because it can be a minor spoiler) that I hope will happen in the last novella, The Face of Scandal. I can't wait... 


A self-confessed food geek and web aficionado, Helena Maeve has always been globe trotter with a fondness for adventure. Recently, much to the consternation of her fellow travelers  she has begun putting to paper the stories she’s thought up in her excursions. When she isn’t writing romance and erotic novels, she can usually be found in an airport or on a plane, furiously penning in her trusty little notebook.

Helena's Links

Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment