Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: At Any Cost (U.S. Marshals #4) by Mandy Baxter

"You're anything but bad news. You're the best news I've ever gotten." - Livy Gallagher

At Any Cost
Series: U.S. Marshals #4
Author: Mandy Baxter
Publisher: Zebra
Release Date: May 31, 2016
Source: Publisher for Review

Buy Links: Amazon - B&N - Kobo - iTunes
Add to Goodreads

Fast, cunning, and driven, he'll do whatever it takes to nail the most violent federal perps. But she is the one danger he'll never see coming… 

She can't remember when she wasn't afraid. She can't go to the police. And "Olivia Gallagher" is only a day away from fleeing her Idaho wilderness life before biker gang leader Joel Meecum finally catches up with her. So keeping her rugged new neighbor at arm's length is the only safe play. Until Livy can't resist one last hungry chance to feel alive…

For U.S. Marshal Nick Brady, taking his vacation next door to Meecum's ex-girlfriend seemed the smartest way to find him. But suddenly, nothing is making sense. How could this feisty, straight-talking brunette ever get mixed up with Meecum's brutal crew? And why is he breaking his oath and getting so close that all he wants is to keep her safe? Now as the clock ticks, Nick and Livy's only chance at escape may be the one they can't survive…


Confession time... I have the weirdest. and possibly the most annoying, habit of falling in love with a series only to completely forget about it until the newest book pops up. I've done it many times and it has happened again, this time with Mandy Baxter's U.S. Marshals series. I devoured the first book, One Night More. In fact, one of my all time favorite "hot damn" scenes happen in that book. No spoilers because that scene is best when experiencing it first hand. What makes it even more sad? I own the 2nd book in paperback... So, when the fourth book, At Any Cost, pops up I had to pick it up. There was no hesitant with this girl... And I gotta tell you... I'm kicking myself in the butt even harder now for missing books two and three. A fact that will be remedied very soon!

Much like the first book, I devoured At Any Cost in one delicious sitting. The sexy and steaming scenes mixed with the suspense was perfection. I loved Nick and Livy's initial reaction towards each other. I think Livy was ready to jump Nick the moment he appeared out of nowhere. I adored Livy. She's been through so much and continues to struggle just to keep her mom safe. Her motto is heartbreaking. I just wanted to give her a big hug. When Nick suddenly walks into her life, she really doesn't know what to do. Her body, mind, and heart are all telling her different things. When she takes the leap and decides to trust him, she doesn't do it lightly. She's tenacious and incredibly strong, the perfect heroine to root for. As for Nick, well he's hard-headed. Not happy with his assignment, Nick takes matters in his own hands and goes off on Livy's trail. It doesn't take long for his focus to switch from arresting Livy for any possible connection to Meecum to wanting to protect her with his life. He knows that the feelings he has towards Livy could get him in trouble, but he can't help it and doesn't want to fight it. Thrown together, they go up against Meecum in hopes of finally bringing him down.

I loved At Any Cost. I've recently found myself in a romantic suspense mood and this book hit the spot. It is heavier with the romance and I think that was one of the reasons why I loved it so much. Mandy's writing was perfect as always. I love how she puts a little bit of everything in her books. There are plenty of funny moments mixed with super steamy sexy time and just enough suspense to keep me intrigued. I will be picking up the second and third book in this series before the fifth book comes out in September.


Mandy Baxter lives in rural Idaho. She’s a part-time pet wrangler, a full-time sun worshiper, and only goes out into the cold when coerced. She loves black clothes, pink appliances and thinks junk food should be a recognized food group. In the summer, she can be found sitting by the lake, enjoying the view from her dock. She’s the author of the U.S. Marshals series from Kensington Books and the Billionaire’s Club: Texas series from St. Martin’s Press.



Click HERE to check out the
U.S. Marshals series!

Book 1 in the U.S. Marshals series.

No comments:

Post a Comment